HyLife brings Oral Care Specialists to elders, your loved one, once each and every week, providing a viable solution to improve the oral, and possibly systemic, health of this wonderful population.
SERVICES PROVIDED BY HYLIFE ORAL CARE SPECIALISTS
OUR SERVICES ARE IMPORTANT
Nursing home residents do not have access to traditional dental hygiene services
- Due to an inability to travel to offices off-site
- Due to an absence of dentists and/or dental hygienists in nursing homes and other facilities
- Due to residents’ inability to pay for traditional dental and/or dental hygiene services
Resulting in an Epidemic
- Elderly nursing home residents have extensive oral disease, poor oral hygiene, and suffer the worst oral health of any population
- Poor oral hygiene is compounding medical issues of diabetes, COPD, and pneumonia
If the current trend continues, by the year 2031 there will be approximately 3.6 million residents residing in nursing homes.
RECENT CASE STUDY COMPLETED BY HYLIFE
A 12-Week Study of Oral Care Services in Nursing Homes
Over a 12 week period in 2012, HyLife placed 3 Oral Care Specialists in nursing homes to provide these services. The study involved 45 residents in 5 separate facilities, over 3 states. The residents received weekly brushing and between the teeth cleaning. The care teams at the nursing homes administered 2 Spry 100% xylitol sweetened mints to each of the 45 residents after each meal. During this 12 week case study 14 of the 45 residents moved into an improved oral health category (See Table 1).
While not all residents improved enough to move into a better category, 78% of the residents showed visual improvement in the amount of plaque biofilm on their teeth (See Table 2). These significant results show a program such as this is a viable way to help improve the oral, and possibly the systemic health, of nursing home residents.
During the case study Oral Care Specialists were welcomed into facilities by care teams, residents, and residents’ families with great excitement!
CARE TEAMS REPORTED
- It was wonderful to have a hygienist in the facility assisting with oral care.
- The residents looked forward to seeing the hygienist.
- The breath of the residents improved during the study.
ORAL CARE SPECIALISTS REPORTED
- What an amazing experience!
- I grew fond of the residents I cared for…I wish the study would continue.
- My mouth feels wonderful when the hygienist is finished!
- It is nice to have someone looking after the oral health of my loved one.
- How can I get my loved one involved?